Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Gilda's Club

Gilda's Club Chicago is wonderful!  They offer tons of programs and small events for those of us dealing with cancer here at Rush University.  All are free, and they take place at different times at many hospitals in Chicago.  I was familar with Gilda's Club from Gilda Radner and her days with Saturday Night Live and those funny movies with Gene Wildner.

Yesterday, there was a 10 minute relaxation program.  A wonderful volunteer from Gilda's Club came to my room and showed me simple tips about relaxing to help me heal and sleep better.  There were other programs I noticed during my 5 week stay which included arts, games and yoga.  Patients have the opportunity to meet others also dealing with cancer, family members that come can find support and a sense of calm, knowing they are not the only ones going through this.  Its a pleasure to be able to experience these 'breaks in the day' during a lengthy hospital stay.

Gilda's Club is absolutely free, and anyone dealing with Cancer, being treated currently, or family (including children) are welcome.  It is a great organization, and I am happy to see how much of a difference this organization makes to patients.

Please visit Gilda's Club and see if they offer locations near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment