Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Attack of another Rash-- this one explained Pityriasis Rosea

Pityriasis Rosea

a small sample of the rash on my abdomen.

About four weeks ago, I developed an itchy pink spot on my lower abdomen. About the size of my thumb, it was oval shaped, very pink, very itchy.
I immediately thought I ate something or used a product I shouldn't have...with all my allergies, of course that 's the first thing that comes to mind.  
Hydro-cortisone cream doesn't work.  I tried Neosporin.  Nothing.  The itchy spot remained.  I decided the next step would be the dermatologist.  
Two weeks go by, and a few days before my appointment, I wake up to a bunch of bumps on my abdomen and chest that look like mosquito bites.  They are raised and itch like mosquito bites, too.  I thought one went wild on me like a buffet in the night.  
Then, I saw Dr Laura.  She looked at me and smiled.  "That's a mother patch!"  
She explained I have Pityriasis Rosea.  Its believed to be caused by a virus, but its kinda unknown.   There is no cure, it goes away after some time.  She asked if I needed more cortisone cream and sent me on my way, expecting it to be gone in another 3-6 weeks time.

Of course, we are 1.5 weeks from seeing Dr Laura, and I am still a crazy itchy person that just wants relief.  I've hit a bunch of websites, looking for home remedies and cures that helped others like me.  Granted, I know I have a weak immune system, even though my "numbers" are good.  PR is a mother of a rash.  I have 2 mother or herald patches, bigger than the others, not really raised, but a bit flaky.   Surrounding my entire body from my knees to my ears are little itchy pink bumps.  Warm water, soap, and sweat/exercise seem to make them stick out more, feel more itchy, and make them more red.  So, my pimple-dotted pits do not see deodorant right now.  I take cool showers.  I try to wear little clothing, because seams and hems tend to rub against my skin and really get me itchy.  

It sucks.  The pamphlet I got at the doc's office says it will go away on its own, but really I just have to put up with it!  

So,, that's what I'vMe been up to.  How about you?  I noticed when I itch too much the skin breaks, and I end up with little scabs.  This is not contagious, by the way.  I got it from something, but not another person.  It looks awful because it is awful.  Looks like no swimming pools until this clears up for me.




2 comments:

  1. I hope that the itchiness is at least a little bit gone! Ugh. Itchiness is the worst. When I get hives I use benedryl cream but really it's just probably snake-oil and doesn't actually work. Once I was told to use the inside of a banana peel... That didn't do anything but make my skin smell of the fruit and covered in banana slime. (((Gentle hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cristine! Its starting to feel less itchy. I think the hydrocorisone cream dries out my skin even more, so I've been using it sparingly. I can't imagine enjoying the banana peel treatment, lol!

    ReplyDelete