Friday, July 29, 2016

Skin cancer from tattoo ink? Hot in the news

When I was 20 years old, I foolishly got a tattoo.  Granted, it's small in size, about one square inch that I firmly believed in at that time.  I still do, but I realized in the past 20 years that I didn't need it to define me.  I think I spent $20 for this small tattoo, placed on my foot.  At least I was smart enough to place it wear it would not be seen 98% of the time.  Most people would not know Or guess I had a tattoo...especially for that long. Half my life.  Wow.  But, I can't imagine how I will feel 20 more years down the road (if I live that long).  God only knows.

This week, I saw some news about possible risks and links from tattoo inks and skin cancer, or melanomas.  So, as always, I wanted more news. Am I a researcher? No.  But, I did find a few articles online, including the original one that scared me--


The Original Article that scared me (Independent.co.uk)

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/07/26/tattoo-ink-may-be-toxic-study-suggests.html

Article on Washington Post (older article!)

https://cjon.ons.org/sites/default/files/D27117T693777KV0_first.pdf

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/are-tattoos-safe-cancer-risk/

Great Article from Skincancer.org about tattoo ink/possible carcinogens

If you are now more confused, well, so am I.  Does it make sense that a poorly made, cheap ink that will stay in my skin forever may cause cancer of some type?  Well, putting it that way...yes, it does make sense.  Have people been getting tattoos for centuries?  Yes, they have.  But, the general life expectancy of a human today is higher than it was 100 years ago.  Albeit, it might be slightly higher in comparison, but it's still higher.  Plus, civilized populations, like us generally have a higher expectancy than 3rd world countries.  So, here's my thinking: many third world countries and tribal groups is what I think about when it comes to tattoos a long time ago, and they used natural ingredients from plants and such.  I will say I'm not sure if their inks are safer or different than pigmented inks we use here in the states...I'm sure they are manufactured differently and we have many colors of the rainbow, some look almost unnatural.  I could be way off, but their life expectancy is less...and do we know why?  Who knows?
I may be more confused now, but I'm gathering that when it comes to cancer, we may have herietary tendencies, in our genes, fluke accidents, like I believe mine was, or we expose and put stuff into our bodies that do its toll.  Like using cheap gas or premium gas in your car.  Does it truly make it last longer? Does it prevent it from having issues or breaking down?  The only way to truly know that answer is to have 2 exactly the same cars drive in the same places, get the same work done to them, and use one with unleaded and one super plus gasoline, and who can do that?
It's late, I'm tired, I've been up thinking about this for a few hours.  Ultimately, I fear what we do to our bodies is cumulative, and I wish my stupid self took note of that a long time ago.
We can't go back in time, but we can try our best today.

Make it count, don't worry too much, but live your life fully.



No comments:

Post a Comment