With a new year, its time to get it all organized!
Here's what I'm doing to organize this weekend:
First off, you want to keep your claim receipts for the entire year and start new files for 2014. Keep the 2013 files accessible for a couple more months. I was at the ER on Dec 25, Dec 28, and had a doctors appointment Dec 30. I don't expect those claim receipts for another month. When they do come in, I need to get them in the correct file asap. This is my first year fighting cancer, so I have no idea what my accountant will need. I will give them everything. Nicely filed and organized.
- Claim Receipts by what was paid and what was not paid (rejected). I organize them by provider and then date.
- Gas and Travel receipts in an envelope.
- All drug and pharmacy receipts (yes, even Kleenex and baby wipes) in another envelope
- insurance payments/bills
- any financial aid/grants/disability go in another file.
- all banking statements by bank/institution and then by date.
- copies of any checks I wrote out for medical bills
- Start files for 2014
The last time I organized all my claim receipts was in October. Yet a new mountainous pile has grown to ridiculous proportions. This should consume all free time I have this weekend.
Hope this helps!