Friday, February 3, 2017

Cancer- rebirthday

Yesterday, I turned 4.
Wow, time flies.  Almost two years I was treated for leukemia, and the past two years I have spent trying to get back to living.  Its been rough.
Yesterday, I was talking to my boyfriend about that day and what followed.  Everything that happened and came so quickly-- dealing with
  • cancer diagnosis
  • likelihood of never having children
  • treatment-- chemo
  • all the blood transfusions
  • gallbladder removal
  • losing my hair
  • getting a port put in
  • allergic reactions to medication
  • all the vomiting
  • losing my sense of taste
  • increased sense of smell
  • gaining lots of weight and losing lots of weight
  • rashes
  • yeast infections
  • the shape of my tongue changed
  • c-diff and wearing diapers
  • shingles
  • not being able to stand or think clearly
  • wearing a surgical mask everywhere I went, even just outside
  • money/insurance issues
  • crazy headaches from the ATRA pills
  • light sensitivity
  • skin peeling all over
  • losing my fingernails and toenails
  • chemo induced menopause-- all the hotflashes (10/hour!)
  • losing hair in places I didn't think was necessary and missing its purpose!
  • exhaustion
  • sleeping 12 + hours a day on the couch
  • showers with the port
  • port changes and daily flushes
  • home nurse
  • fevers
  • pneumonia on Christmas
  • wisdom teeth removal
  • cracks in teeth
  • becoming allergic to everything I use on a daily basis
Now its about living.
I am blessed to be alive.  Endless hours of golden girls during my treatment taught me nothing is the end. we keep going even after the show is cancelled.

1 comment:

  1. maegan@healthline.comAugust 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM

    Hi Lisa,

    Healthline would like to congratulate you on making our list of the Best Leukemia Blogs of 2017!

    Our editors carefully selected the most up-to-date, informative, and inspiring blogs that aim to uplift their readers through education and personal stories. We’re glad to have you on the list!

    We’ve created a badge that you can embed on your site to let your readers know about your win. The embed code is at the link below.

    Winners list: http://www.healthline.com/health/leukemia/best-blogs
    Badge to embed: http://www.healthline.com/health/leukemia/best-blog-badge-2015

    If you have any questions or need help embedding the badge, feel free to be in touch. Congratulations and keep up the great blogging!

    Warmly,
    Maegan

    --
    Maegan Jones | Content Coordinator
    Healthline
    Your most trusted ally in pursuit of health and well-being

    ReplyDelete